6 Days Kilimanjaro Climb via Rongai Route
CLIMBING MOUNT KILIMANJARO VIA RONGAI ROUTE - This is the third popular route on Kilimanjaro and involves much shorter approach to Kibo than the Marangu Route.
Standard duration : 6 days, the walking is quite strenous.
Day 1: Rongai Gate to the First Cave
Drive from Arusha to Marangu Gate for the necessary registration formalities and then transferred by Land Rover to Rongai, which should take about 1.5 hours. The climb starts at the village of Nale Moru (1,950 m.) through fields of maize and potatoes before entering pine forest. The climb is consistently and gently through attractive forest that shelters a variety of wildlife. Reaching first Campsite, at the edge of the moorland zone (2,600 m.), giving you extensive views over the Kenyan plains. (7km, 3-4 hrs Trekking)
Day 2: First Cave to the Kikelewa Caves
After breakfast start with steady walk ascent up to the 'Second Cave' (3,450 m.). Start seeing Kibo Peak and the Eastern ice fields on the crater rim. Leave the main trail and strike out across the moorland on a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi. The campsite is in a sheltered valley near Kikelewa Caves (3.600 m.) (15km, 5-7 hrs of trekking)
Trailing start with short but steep climb up grassy slopes, which are rewarded with superb circular views and a tangible sense of wilderness, before reaching Mawenzi Tarn (4,330 m.), for camping. Spend the rest of the day resting or exploring the surrounding area as an aid to acclimatization (10km, 5-7 hrs. of trekking)
Day 4: Kibo Campsite/ School Campsite
Early morning proceeds with trekking crossing the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach School Campsite at the foot of the Kibo crater wall. (8km, 6-7 hrs of trekking). Spend remainder of the day resting and preparation for the final ascent
Day 5: Trek to Uhuru Peak 5895m
The last day will be a really early beginning for the summit, normally 01:00 am, trailing through loose volcanic scree to reach the crater rim at Gillman's Point, take a rest for short while before continuing to the Uhuru Peak (which might take 3 hours) After relaxing, watching the sun rise and taking memorable pictures, start descending to the Horombo Hut and spend overnight there.
Day 6: Horombo to the Hotel
After breakfast descend to Marangu Gate, meet the driver and return to your hotel in Arusha
- All transport by private vehicle to and from the mountain
- Accommodation as detailed on the itinerary.
- Services of a private mountain guide, cook and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and client's private bags.
- National Park entrance, accommodation and camping fees.
- All food and catering equipment - breakfasts, lunches (packed when necessary) and evening meals prepared by our own cook. Special dietary requirements are catered for with prior arrangements at no extra cost.
- Certificate of Achievement /appreciation from us.
- Free storage of excess baggage not required on the mountain hike.
- Crisis management apparatus - VHF 2-way radio/mobile phone, basic first aid kit and an on call vehicle.
- Travel and personal accident insurance.
- Visa, passport, vaccinations, medicines.
- Personal Mountain equipment.
- Expenditure on alcoholic drinks, souvenirs and other personal items.
- Optional excursions not detailed in the itinerary.
- Additional optional accommodation added at the base hotel or extra days on the mountain added.
- Treated drinking water other than boiled.
- Extra costs incurred in case of own intentional change of itinerary while already on trek.
- Porters to carry excess of 16Kg. personal luggage per client.